Monday, March 28, 2011

Potty Training For Dummies

And in case there was any confusion, I am the dummy.  My 2 1/2 year old is quite adamant that she is quite happy with her diapers.  It goes something like this:

I see signs of some possible action.
Me: (all enthusiastic) Do you need to use the bathroom???  Let's hurry to the potty.  If you go in the potty you can pick a treat.  M&M, toy, cupcake, Disney World, the moon.
H: (not at all affected by my enthusiasm) No thanks.  I don't want to.
Me: Um, please?????

Too late.

Seriously, could I have waited too late to potty train?  She doesn't care about any of my tricks or treats.  She has thought it through, tried the potty out, and decided she just likes her diapers better.  Clearly, this is not an option.

We have tried the whole eating lots of salty things, giving lots to drink, going to "try" at regular intervals, pull-ups, training panties, etc.  And we've had success followed by lots of praise and prizes.  She is just completely nonplussed by all of it, does not want to do it.  Should I try the whole take the diapers away and just let her tee tee on the floor thing?  Then I am cleaning up while shooing a 9 month old away and trying to make this all a "positive experience" while trying not to lose my bloomin' mind.

I need ideas.  Anyone else out there have a strong-willed spirited little one?  What are some manipulative mind games that work?  Those of you whose little ones were super easy and potty trained themselves need not reply : )

4 comments:

Robyn Herring said...

Not sure if I fall into the category of one with "little one who was easy to potty train" because we didn't start trying until Evynne was like 2 and 8 months. I was not going through all of what you have described. SO not worth it. Evynne had maybe 2 accidents EVER. I say just wait until she's ready. Since Evynne still has a poopy issue and STILL does that in a pull up, we've heard a lot of advice. And the people I'd give the most credit to (older wiser mommies, MDO teachers, nursery workers, etc.) say they'll do it when they're ready. There's no need to think something magical happens at 2 and a half and you're a loser mom if you're baby isn't potty trained yet. You could try the naked in the yard thing when it's warm. I would NOT do that inside though. Especially since I can completely appreciate the second child problem in that scenario. Those are my thoughts on it. In a lot of words.

Amanda said...

I wish I could offer some advice, but we have had NO success here. So, take comfort in knowing that your not alone. :) I'm giving up on it for a while since I've got my hands full with the boys too. Let me in on the secret when you find out!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through your sister's blog and this is my first time to comment - woop woop. I think every child is so different when it comes to this......don't give up! Sometimes, after you suggest it, they will sort of think it is their idea and start doing it on their own. My first, I just started putting her on the potty, three or four times a day. Eventually, she went and that kicked things off. My second, I had to go cold turkey - no diapers - to get him to go and that meant a lot of messes and clothing to wash. My third has started going in the potty on his own b/c he sees the big kids doing it, but he's no where near ready to go w/out diapers. Girls are a lot easier than boys, typically. They long for the independence.........okay, this is too long - good luck! :) Cheers!

Anonymous said...

I think I'm wrong about your sister......I found you through Wanting What I Have and not sure why I thought you were her sister...but anyway, forgive me if I was wrong on that. :) Thank you kindly, Denise

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails